This post contains affiliate links.
If you’ve been following us from the beginning, you know it’s day 9 of the “12 Days of Book Giving“!!! If this is your first visit, welcome!
Budlong is spending two weeks in South Dakota with my parents this summer, which got me thinking about how I could best prepare him for the trip. The answer is books, of course. Books about South Dakota can give him valuable background knowledge that he’ll be able to connect to his travel experiences. Books will also focus his interests and build anticipation for his trip.
Because we’ve read Mount Rushmore: Myths, Legends, and Facts by Jessica Gunderson, Budlong now understands that the monument is on land stolen from the Sioux. He’s also excited about the prospect of seeing the secret chamber hidden behind the faces and going to visit the still unfinished Crazy Horse Memorial. Next up we’ll read Flat Stanley: The Mount Rushmore Calamity and Four Famous Faces.
This trip is not a surprise to him, but imagine how awesome it would be if we had announced it by giving him one of the above books. Even more awesome and more tangible if we had tucked an Every Kid in a Park Pass into the book as a surprise bookmark! And that’s how I came up with your book giving idea for the day!
Book Giving Idea #9: Tickets Make Great Bookmarks!
Step 1: Brainstorm experiences you can offer your child.
Step 2: Purchase passes, tickets, or gift cards good for this experience
Step 3: Hide the tickets inside a book about this experience and wrap it up!
Need some ideas?
Cinema gift card inside one of these soon-to-be movies:
- Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey
- Wonder by Raquel J. Palacio
- Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul by Jeff Kinney
Museum passes inside one of these books:
- Picture Books about Museums
- Children’s Books about Museums
- Any one of the Museum Mysteries by Steve Brezenoff
Basketball tickets inside one of these books:
- Picture Books about Basketball for Kids
- Bounce into Basketball Books (Scholastic)
- March Madness: Basketball Books for Every Kid (ages 4 and up)
- March Madness and Hoop Dreams: Great Books about Basketball
Baseball tickets inside one of these books:
- Summer Sports Books for Preschoolers-3rd Graders (my list)
- 9 Books about Baseball to Read Before Opening Day
Ski lift passes inside one of these books:
You know your inbox/newsfeed is going to miss me when this series is over, so come back tomorrow for day 10 of Book Giving!
Featured image based on "Presents" by Andrew Butitta, CC-BY-SA-2.0